Day Trip Three: Battleship North Carolina
Daytrip Three: North Carolina Battleship in Wilmington, NC
Whether you are a lover of history, ships, firepower, or rare tours The USS Battleship North Carolina in Wilmington, NC is a must see! An easy drive up Highway 17 to 421, the grand ship is a breathtaking sight that holds so many memories of those who were aboard. The guided tours help bring those memories to life
The Battleship was launched June 14th 1940 and commissioned April 19th 1941. It was not long before she was put to the test and she and her crew saw battle in WWII. Surviving a torpedo attack during World War II this Battleship participated in every major naval offensive in the Pacific area of operations and earned 15 battle stars. “In the Battle of the Eastern Solomon’s in August of 1942, the Battleship’s anti aircraft barrage helped save the carrier Enterprise, thereby establishing the primary role of the fast battleship as protector of aircraft carriers”. On your visit you will hear more tales like this and that of the SOS campaign to save the ship from becoming scrap metal in NJ and returning to its rightful place here in North Carolina.
This tour is a definite “thing to do” while visiting us here at The Sunset Inn and once you step board the magnificent vessel it will be a day you will not forget. For more information about tours you can visit www.battleshipnc.com. Below is a list of events coming up in the next few weeks & months:
Design & Damage Control
May 18, 2013
Time: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
$55 per person. $50 for Friends members or active military.
As the first of the 10 fast battleships which served in WWII, NORTH CAROLINA paved the way for those battleships that followed. In this four-hour program, participants will explore the ship and engage with experts on ship design. Topics include surviving a torpedo strike, fires, and loss of power; thwarting magnetism and unwanted waters from flooding; from shoring and shifting fuel oil to triage of casualties and effective communication. An interesting and insightful afternoon awaits inquiring minds.
The tour is limited to ages 16 and older and limited to 48 participants. It is not appropriate for those who have difficulty climbing narrow ladders or over knee-high hatches. Wear warm, comfortable, washable clothing, sturdy, rubber-soled shoes and bring a camera! Water and light snack provided. Registration and payment are due by Thursday, May 16. Program is $50/$45 for Friends of the Battleship or active military. Call 910-251-5797 for reservations.
8th Annual Memorial Day Observance
May 27, 2013
Time: 5:45 pm
On Memorial Day, May 27, 2013, at 5:45 pm, people of all generations from across the State will gather together on the deck of the Battleship to pay their respects. An emotional ceremony, preceding and concluding with military musical arrangements provided by an Armed Forces Band, and a 21-gun salute, the Executive Director of the Battleship, Captain Terry A. Bragg and members of the USS NORTH CAROLINA Battleship Commission invite the public to this free event.
17th Annual Battleship Blast
July 4, 2013
Time: 9:05 pm
Noted as Coastal Living's 10 Spots to Celebrate the Fourth and recent recipient of Southeast Tourism Society's award of Top 20 things to due in July, the Battleship NORTH CAROLINA will present the 2013 17th Annual Battleship Blast Fireworks.
The celebration will not disappoint and at 9:05pm the Battleship fireworks spectacular will begin. You don’t want to miss this year as the fireworks display will light up the skies of Wilmington.
Best view of amazing pyro technics is from downtown Wilmington as the entire Battleship complex on Eagles Island will be closed at 6:00pm and all vehicles will be required to leave by 6:30pm. Therefore, come early and visit the equally impressive Battleship North Carolina before the activities in the evening.
September 28, 2013
Time: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Free with Battleship admission
Watch and interact with World War II living history interpreters as they bring the Ship to life by re-enacting daily duties and drills. Free with regular Battleship admission. Please call 910-251-5797 for more information.
- Strawberry & Wine Festival
- 5 Reasons to Visit The Beach In The Winter
- Thanksgiving 2014
- Crafty Pumpkins
- Sunset Beach NC Festivals
- Sunset Beach Packages
- Sunset Beach, NC
- Run Sunset Beach
- Bird Island Reserve
- Brunswick Home & Garden Show
- New Sunset Beach, NC Park
- The Boundary House Restaurant
- Shallotte Christmas
- Brookgreen Gardens Nights of a Thousand Candles
- Sunset Beach Poem by Richard Taylor
- December Event, Old Bridge
- There's Nothing Ghoulish About the Hotels Around Here, Honest
- Family Fun Day and Vacations to Sunset Beach NC
- Oyster Fest Time!!
- Come Spend Labor Day at Our Sunset Beach Resort
- The Hatching has begun! Visit Brunswick County Beaches to witness the baby Sea Turtles!
- If You're Looking For an Ocean Isle Beach Hotel During the Sailfish Classic
- Why Ocean Isle Beach Vacations
- Kindred Spirit Mailbox
- Not your typical getaway, but so much more
- Calling All Car Show Enthusiasts!
- Summer Events & Festivals
- Old Pastime Comes Back to Life
- Day Trip Two- Bald Head Island
- May festivals & events (2)
- Day Trip One- Southport
- Upcoming events in May
- Sunset Beach Summer Concert Series
- La Belle Amie Vineyard Festival
- Sunset Beach celebrates 50th Anniversary!
- Discover Spring in Sunset Beach
- Brunswick Island's Home & Garden Show
- Tie Up Your Sneakers for the Upcoming Races
- Upcoming Events in Wilmington
- Run to the Sun
- St. Patrick's Day
- Spring Getaway Special!
- 2014 Summer Concert Series